Subject: Re: [PATCH 3/3] phy: marvell: phy-mvebu-a3700-comphy: Remove unsupported modes

From: "Russell King (Oracle)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2021 22:10:51 +0100

On Fri, Aug 27, 2021 at 09:02:34PM +0200, Pali Rohár wrote:
> I think that whatever is used (firmware code, kernel code, ...), DT
> should always contains full HW description with all nodes, and not only
> some "subset". DT should be independent of current driver / firmware
> implementation.

A "full" description of the hardware settings for the comphy on Armada
8040 would be very big if we included every single setting. There are
about a thousand settings - and that is likely an under-estimate. I
know, I've a shell script that decodes around a thousand settings from
the registers for a _single_ lane, and that's incomplete.

With many of the settings not very well documented in the manual, we
would struggle to describe it sufficiently well to get it past the DT
maintainers.

So, "full hardware description" is impractical. Sorry.

-- 
RMK's Patch system: https://www.armlinux.org.uk/developer/patches/
FTTP is here! 40Mbps down 10Mbps up. Decent connectivity at last!