Subject: Re: [PATCH net-next] net: dpaa2-mac: add support for more ethtool 10G link modes

From: "Russell King (Oracle)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 3 Sep 2021 11:33:58 +0100

On Mon, Aug 16, 2021 at 05:47:52PM +0300, Ioana Ciornei wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 20, 2021 at 03:11:34PM +0100, Russell King (Oracle) wrote:
> > On Tue, Jul 20, 2021 at 03:51:35PM +0200, Andrew Lunn wrote:
> > > On Tue, Jul 20, 2021 at 10:57:43AM +0100, Russell King wrote:
> > > > Phylink documentation says:
> > > >   Note that the PHY may be able to transform from one connection
> > > >   technology to another, so, eg, don't clear 1000BaseX just
> > > >   because the MAC is unable to BaseX mode. This is more about
> > > >   clearing unsupported speeds and duplex settings. The port modes
> > > >   should not be cleared; phylink_set_port_modes() will help with this.
> > > > 
> > > > So add the missing 10G modes.
> > > 
> > > Hi Russell
> > > 
> > > Would a phylink_set_10g(mask) helper make sense? As you say, it is
> > > about the speed, not the individual modes.
> > 
> > Yes, good point, and that will probably help avoid this in the future.
> > We can't do that for things like e.g. SGMII though, because 1000/half
> > isn't universally supported.
> > 
> > Shall we get this patch merged anyway and then clean it up - as such
> > a change will need to cover multiple drivers anyway?
> > 
> 
> This didn't get merged unfortunately.
> 
> Could you please resend it? Alternatively, I can take a look into adding
> that phylink_set_10g() helper if that is what's keeping it from being
> merged.

It looks like the original patch didn't appear in patchwork for some
reason - at least google can find it in lore's netdev archives, but
not in patchwork. I can only put this down to some kernel.org
unreliability - we've seen this unreliability in the past with netdev,
and it seems to be an ongoing issue.

It's now too late to re-send for this merge window - net-next is
currently closed. Whether I remember in a fortnight or so time when
net-next re-opens is another problem.

And yes, I also have the phylink_set_10g() patches in my tree, which
was waiting for this patch to have been merged.

-- 
RMK's Patch system: https://www.armlinux.org.uk/developer/patches/
FTTP is here! 40Mbps down 10Mbps up. Decent connectivity at last!