Subject: Re: [PATCH] net: mdiobus: Fix memory leak in __mdiobus_register

From: Dan Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2021 14:30:55 +0300

On Tue, Sep 28, 2021 at 02:09:06PM +0300, Pavel Skripkin wrote:
> On 9/28/21 14:06, Pavel Skripkin wrote:
> > > It's not actually the same.  The state has to be set before the
> > > device_register() or there is still a leak.
> > > 
> > Ah, I see... I forgot to handle possible device_register() error. Will
> > send v2 soon, thank you
> > 
> > 
> > 
> Wait... Yanfei's patch is already applied to net tree and if I understand
> correctly, calling put_device() 2 times will cause UAF or smth else.
> 

Yes.  It causes a UAF.

Huh...  You're right that the log should say "failed to register".  But
I don't think that's the correct syzbot link for your patch either
because I don't think anyone calls mdiobus_free() if
__devm_mdiobus_register() fails.  I have looked at these callers.  It
would be a bug as well.

Anyway, your patch is required and the __devm_mdiobus_register()
function has leaks as well.  And perhaps there are more bugs we have not
discovered.

regards,
dan carpenter