Subject: [PATCH RFC net-next 0/8] Extend `phy-mode` to string array

From: Marek Behún <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2021 20:07:01 +0100

Hello,

I know that net-next is closed now, so this is just a RFC to get some
feedback/reviews on this. Hopefully this is not a problem, if so,
please ignore it.

This series extends the `phy-connection-type` / `phy-mode` property to
be an array of strings, instead of just one string.

Conventionaly the `phy-mode` means "this is the mode I want the PHY to
operate in". But we now have some PHYs that may need to change the PHY
mode during operation (marvell10g PHY driver), and so we need to know
all the supported modes. Russell King is working on MAC and PHY drivers
to inform phylink on which PHY interface modes they support, but it is
not enough, for a MAC/PHY driver may fill all the modes supported by
the driver, but still each individual board may have only some of those
modes actually wired.

This series
- changes the type of the `phy-mode` property to be an array of PHY
  interface strings,
- updated documentation of of_get_phy_mode() and related to inform that
  only first mode is returned by these functions (since this function
  is needed to still support conventional usage of the `phy-mode`
  property),
- adds fwnode_get_phy_modes() function which reads the `phy-mode` array
  and fills bitmap with mentioned modes,
- adds code to phylink to intersect the supported interfaces bitmap
  supplied by MAC driver, with interface modes defined in device-tree
  (and keeps backwards compatibility with conventional usage of the
   phy-mode property, for more information read the commit message of
   patch 4/8),
- passes supported interfaces to PHY driver so that it may configure
  a PHY to a specific mode given these interfaces,
- uses this information in marvell10g driver.

Marek

Marek Behún (7):
  dt-bindings: ethernet-controller: support multiple PHY connection
    types
  net: Update documentation for *_get_phy_mode() functions
  device property: add helper function for getting phy mode bitmap
  net: phylink: update supported_interfaces with modes from fwnode
  net: phylink: pass supported PHY interface modes to phylib
  net: phy: marvell10g: Use generic macro for supported interfaces
  net: phy: marvell10g: Use tabs instead of spaces for indentation

Russell King (1):
  net: phy: marvell10g: select host interface configuration

 .../bindings/net/ethernet-controller.yaml     |  88 +++++------
 drivers/base/property.c                       |  48 +++++-
 drivers/net/phy/marvell10g.c                  | 140 ++++++++++++++++--
 drivers/net/phy/phylink.c                     |  91 ++++++++++++
 include/linux/phy.h                           |  10 ++
 include/linux/property.h                      |   3 +
 net/core/of_net.c                             |   9 +-
 7 files changed, 321 insertions(+), 68 deletions(-)

-- 
2.32.0