Subject: [PATCH net] ppp: ensure minimum packet size in ppp_write()

From: Eric Dumazet <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 Jan 2022 03:48:42 -0800

From: Eric Dumazet <[email-masked]>

It seems pretty clear ppp layer assumed user space
would always be kind to provide enough data
in their write() to a ppp device.

This patch makes sure user provides at least
2 bytes.

It adds PPP_PROTO_LEN macro that could replace
in net-next many occurrences of hard-coded 2 value.

I replaced only one occurrence to ease backports
to stable kernels.

The bug manifests in the following report:

BUG: KMSAN: uninit-value in ppp_send_frame+0x28d/0x27c0 drivers/net/ppp/ppp_generic.c:1740
 ppp_send_frame+0x28d/0x27c0 drivers/net/ppp/ppp_generic.c:1740
 __ppp_xmit_process+0x23e/0x4b0 drivers/net/ppp/ppp_generic.c:1640
 ppp_xmit_process+0x1fe/0x480 drivers/net/ppp/ppp_generic.c:1661
 ppp_write+0x5cb/0x5e0 drivers/net/ppp/ppp_generic.c:513
 do_iter_write+0xb0c/0x1500 fs/read_write.c:853
 vfs_writev fs/read_write.c:924 [inline]
 do_writev+0x645/0xe00 fs/read_write.c:967
 __do_sys_writev fs/read_write.c:1040 [inline]
 __se_sys_writev fs/read_write.c:1037 [inline]
 __x64_sys_writev+0xe5/0x120 fs/read_write.c:1037
 do_syscall_x64 arch/x86/entry/common.c:51 [inline]
 do_syscall_64+0x54/0xd0 arch/x86/entry/common.c:82
 entry_SYSCALL_64_after_hwframe+0x44/0xae

Uninit was created at:
 slab_post_alloc_hook mm/slab.h:524 [inline]
 slab_alloc_node mm/slub.c:3251 [inline]
 __kmalloc_node_track_caller+0xe0c/0x1510 mm/slub.c:4974
 kmalloc_reserve net/core/skbuff.c:354 [inline]
 __alloc_skb+0x545/0xf90 net/core/skbuff.c:426
 alloc_skb include/linux/skbuff.h:1126 [inline]
 ppp_write+0x11d/0x5e0 drivers/net/ppp/ppp_generic.c:501
 do_iter_write+0xb0c/0x1500 fs/read_write.c:853
 vfs_writev fs/read_write.c:924 [inline]
 do_writev+0x645/0xe00 fs/read_write.c:967
 __do_sys_writev fs/read_write.c:1040 [inline]
 __se_sys_writev fs/read_write.c:1037 [inline]
 __x64_sys_writev+0xe5/0x120 fs/read_write.c:1037
 do_syscall_x64 arch/x86/entry/common.c:51 [inline]
 do_syscall_64+0x54/0xd0 arch/x86/entry/common.c:82
 entry_SYSCALL_64_after_hwframe+0x44/0xae

Fixes: 1da177e4c3f4 ("Linux-2.6.12-rc2")
Signed-off-by: Eric Dumazet <[email-masked]>
Cc: Paul Mackerras <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Reported-by: syzbot <[email-masked]>
---
 drivers/net/ppp/ppp_generic.c | 7 ++++++-
 1 file changed, 6 insertions(+), 1 deletion(-)

diff --git a/drivers/net/ppp/ppp_generic.c b/drivers/net/ppp/ppp_generic.c
index 1180a0e2445fbfb3204fea785f1c1cf48bc77141..3ab24988198feaa147397f9ce231815ed1dfa293 100644
--- a/drivers/net/ppp/ppp_generic.c
+++ b/drivers/net/ppp/ppp_generic.c
@@ -69,6 +69,8 @@
 #define MPHDRLEN	6	/* multilink protocol header length */
 #define MPHDRLEN_SSN	4	/* ditto with short sequence numbers */
 
+#define PPP_PROTO_LEN	2
+
 /*
  * An instance of /dev/ppp can be associated with either a ppp
  * interface unit or a ppp channel.  In both cases, file->private_data
@@ -497,6 +499,9 @@ static ssize_t ppp_write(struct file *file, const char __user *buf,
 
 	if (!pf)
 		return -ENXIO;
+	/* All PPP packets should start with the 2-byte protocol */
+	if (count < PPP_PROTO_LEN)
+		return -EINVAL;
 	ret = -ENOMEM;
 	skb = alloc_skb(count + pf->hdrlen, GFP_KERNEL);
 	if (!skb)
@@ -1764,7 +1769,7 @@ ppp_send_frame(struct ppp *ppp, struct sk_buff *skb)
 	}
 
 	++ppp->stats64.tx_packets;
-	ppp->stats64.tx_bytes += skb->len - 2;
+	ppp->stats64.tx_bytes += skb->len - PPP_PROTO_LEN;
 
 	switch (proto) {
 	case PPP_IP:
-- 
2.34.1.448.ga2b2bfdf31-goog