Subject: Re: Phyr Starter

From: Jason Gunthorpe <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2022 19:02:24 -0400

On Tue, Jan 11, 2022 at 03:57:07PM -0700, Logan Gunthorpe wrote:
> 
> 
> On 2022-01-11 3:53 p.m., Jason Gunthorpe wrote:
> > I just want to share the whole API that will have to exist to
> > reasonably support this flexible array of intervals data structure..
> 
> Is that really worth it? I feel like type safety justifies replicating a
> bit of iteration and allocation infrastructure. Then there's no silly
> mistakes of thinking one array is one thing when it is not.

If it is a 'a bit' then sure, but I suspect doing a good job here will
be a lot of code here.

Look at how big scatterlist is, for instance.

Maybe we could have a generic 64 bit interval arry and then two type
wrappers that do dma and physaddr casting? IDK.

Not sure type safety of DMA vs CPU address is critical?

Jason