Subject: [PATCH AUTOSEL 5.16 003/217] Bluetooth: Fix memory leak of hci device

From: Sasha Levin <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2022 21:16:06 -0500

From: Wei Yongjun <[email-masked]>

[ Upstream commit 75d9b8559ac36e059238ee4f8e33cd86086586ba ]

Fault injection test reported memory leak of hci device as follows:

unreferenced object 0xffff88800b858000 (size 8192):
  comm "kworker/0:2", pid 167, jiffies 4294955747 (age 557.148s)
  hex dump (first 32 bytes):
    00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00  ................
    00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ad 4e ad de  .............N..
  backtrace:
    [<0000000070eb1059>] kmem_cache_alloc_trace mm/slub.c:3208
    [<00000000015eb521>] hci_alloc_dev_priv include/linux/slab.h:591
    [<00000000dcfc1e21>] bpa10x_probe include/net/bluetooth/hci_core.h:1240
    [<000000005d3028c7>] usb_probe_interface drivers/usb/core/driver.c:397
    [<00000000cbac9243>] really_probe drivers/base/dd.c:517
    [<0000000024cab3f0>] __driver_probe_device drivers/base/dd.c:751
    [<00000000202135cb>] driver_probe_device drivers/base/dd.c:782
    [<000000000761f2bc>] __device_attach_driver drivers/base/dd.c:899
    [<00000000f7d63134>] bus_for_each_drv drivers/base/bus.c:427
    [<00000000c9551f0b>] __device_attach drivers/base/dd.c:971
    [<000000007f79bd16>] bus_probe_device drivers/base/bus.c:487
    [<000000007bb8b95a>] device_add drivers/base/core.c:3364
    [<000000009564d9ea>] usb_set_configuration drivers/usb/core/message.c:2171
    [<00000000e4657087>] usb_generic_driver_probe drivers/usb/core/generic.c:239
    [<0000000071ede518>] usb_probe_device drivers/usb/core/driver.c:294
    [<00000000cbac9243>] really_probe drivers/base/dd.c:517

hci_alloc_dev() do not init the device's flag. And hci_free_dev()
using put_device() to free the memory allocated for this device,
but it calls just put_device(dev) only in case of HCI_UNREGISTER
flag is set, So any error handing before hci_register_dev() success
will cause memory leak.

To avoid this behaviour we can using kfree() to release dev before
hci_register_dev() success.

Signed-off-by: Wei Yongjun <[email-masked]>
Signed-off-by: Marcel Holtmann <[email-masked]>
Signed-off-by: Sasha Levin <[email-masked]>
---
 net/bluetooth/hci_sysfs.c | 2 ++
 1 file changed, 2 insertions(+)

diff --git a/net/bluetooth/hci_sysfs.c b/net/bluetooth/hci_sysfs.c
index 7827639ecf5c3..4e3e0451b08c1 100644
--- a/net/bluetooth/hci_sysfs.c
+++ b/net/bluetooth/hci_sysfs.c
@@ -86,6 +86,8 @@ static void bt_host_release(struct device *dev)
 
 	if (hci_dev_test_flag(hdev, HCI_UNREGISTER))
 		hci_release_dev(hdev);
+	else
+		kfree(hdev);
 	module_put(THIS_MODULE);
 }
 
-- 
2.34.1