Subject: [PATCH AUTOSEL 4.14 31/56] net: bonding: debug: avoid printing debug logs when bond is not notifying peers

From: Sasha Levin <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2022 21:48:43 -0500

From: Suresh Kumar <[email-masked]>

[ Upstream commit fee32de284ac277ba434a2d59f8ce46528ff3946 ]

Currently "bond_should_notify_peers: slave ..." messages are printed whenever
"bond_should_notify_peers" function is called.

+++
Dec 12 12:33:26 node1 kernel: bond0: bond_should_notify_peers: slave enp0s25
Dec 12 12:33:26 node1 kernel: bond0: bond_should_notify_peers: slave enp0s25
Dec 12 12:33:26 node1 kernel: bond0: bond_should_notify_peers: slave enp0s25
Dec 12 12:33:26 node1 kernel: bond0: (slave enp0s25): Received LACPDU on port 1
Dec 12 12:33:26 node1 kernel: bond0: (slave enp0s25): Rx Machine: Port=1, Last State=6, Curr State=6
Dec 12 12:33:26 node1 kernel: bond0: (slave enp0s25): partner sync=1
Dec 12 12:33:26 node1 kernel: bond0: bond_should_notify_peers: slave enp0s25
Dec 12 12:33:26 node1 kernel: bond0: bond_should_notify_peers: slave enp0s25
Dec 12 12:33:26 node1 kernel: bond0: bond_should_notify_peers: slave enp0s25
...
Dec 12 12:33:30 node1 kernel: bond0: bond_should_notify_peers: slave enp0s25
Dec 12 12:33:30 node1 kernel: bond0: bond_should_notify_peers: slave enp0s25
Dec 12 12:33:30 node1 kernel: bond0: (slave enp4s3): Received LACPDU on port 2
Dec 12 12:33:30 node1 kernel: bond0: (slave enp4s3): Rx Machine: Port=2, Last State=6, Curr State=6
Dec 12 12:33:30 node1 kernel: bond0: (slave enp4s3): partner sync=1
Dec 12 12:33:30 node1 kernel: bond0: bond_should_notify_peers: slave enp0s25
Dec 12 12:33:30 node1 kernel: bond0: bond_should_notify_peers: slave enp0s25
Dec 12 12:33:30 node1 kernel: bond0: bond_should_notify_peers: slave enp0s25
+++

This is confusing and can also clutter up debug logs.
Print logs only when the peer notification happens.

Signed-off-by: Suresh Kumar <[email-masked]>
Signed-off-by: David S. Miller <[email-masked]>
Signed-off-by: Sasha Levin <[email-masked]>
---
 drivers/net/bonding/bond_main.c | 6 +++---
 1 file changed, 3 insertions(+), 3 deletions(-)

diff --git a/drivers/net/bonding/bond_main.c b/drivers/net/bonding/bond_main.c
index 340e7bf6463ec..7096fcbf699c0 100644
--- a/drivers/net/bonding/bond_main.c
+++ b/drivers/net/bonding/bond_main.c
@@ -782,14 +782,14 @@ static bool bond_should_notify_peers(struct bonding *bond)
 	slave = rcu_dereference(bond->curr_active_slave);
 	rcu_read_unlock();
 
-	netdev_dbg(bond->dev, "bond_should_notify_peers: slave %s\n",
-		   slave ? slave->dev->name : "NULL");
-
 	if (!slave || !bond->send_peer_notif ||
 	    !netif_carrier_ok(bond->dev) ||
 	    test_bit(__LINK_STATE_LINKWATCH_PENDING, &slave->dev->state))
 		return false;
 
+	netdev_dbg(bond->dev, "bond_should_notify_peers: slave %s\n",
+		   slave ? slave->dev->name : "NULL");
+
 	return true;
 }
 
-- 
2.34.1