Subject: Re: [net-next RESEND v2] net: core: use shared sysctl macro

From: Jakub Kicinski <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 6 Apr 2022 14:06:29 -0700

On Wed, 6 Apr 2022 13:46:02 -0700 Luis Chamberlain wrote:
> > sysctl-next makes a lot of sense, but I'm worried about conflicts.  
> 
> I can try to deal with them as I can send the pull request to Linus towards
> the end of the merge window.

Do you mean that your -next branch is unstable and can be rebased?
Often people keep their -next branches stable, and then only Linus 
can deal with the conflict (with linux-next's help).

> > Would you be able to spin up a stable branch based on -rc1 so we
> > can pull it into net-next as well?  
> 
> Yes, absolutely. Just pushed, but I should note that linux-next already
> takes in sysctl-next. And there are non-networking changes that are
> in sysctl-next. 

What I mean by a stable branch is a separate branch on top of -rc1 with
just this patch/series, which we can pull into net-next and you can
pull into sysctl-next. That way this change will appear with the same
commit id in both trees and git will deal with it smoothly.

> Does net-next go to Linus or is it just to help with
> developers so they get something more close to linux-next but not as
> insane?

net-next goes to Linus and it's "stable" by which I mean no rebasing 
or hard pushing.