Subject: Re: [PATCH net-next 2/8] wifi: ath9k: silence array-bounds warning on GCC 12

From: Jakub Kicinski <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 21 May 2022 10:53:47 -0700

On Sat, 21 May 2022 09:58:28 +0300 Kalle Valo wrote:
> > +# FIXME: temporarily silence -Warray-bounds on non W=1+ builds
> > +ifndef KBUILD_EXTRA_WARN
> > +CFLAGS_mac.o += -Wno-array-bounds
> > +endif  
> 
> There are now four wireless drivers which need this hack. Wouldn't it be
> easier to add -Wno-array-bounds for GCC 12 globally instead of adding
> the same hack to multiple drivers?

I mean.. it's definitely a hack, I'm surprised more people aren't
complaining. Kees was against disabling it everywhere, AFAIU:

https://lore.kernel.org/all/202204201117.F44DCF9@keescook/

WiFi is a bit unfortunate but we only have 3 cases in the rest of
networking so it's not _terribly_ common.

IDK, I'd love to not see all the warnings every time someone touches
netdevice.h :( I made a note to remove the workaround once GCC 12 gets
its act together, that's the best I could come up with.