Subject: [PATCH v4 0/4] Implement vdpasim stop operation

From: Eugenio Pérez <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 May 2022 14:43:34 +0200

Implement stop operation for vdpa_sim devices, so vhost-vdpa will offer
that backend feature and userspace can effectively stop the device.

This is a must before get virtqueue indexes (base) for live migration,
since the device could modify them after userland gets them. There are
individual ways to perform that action for some devices
(VHOST_NET_SET_BACKEND, VHOST_VSOCK_SET_RUNNING, ...) but there was no
way to perform it for any vhost device (and, in particular, vhost-vdpa).

After the return of ioctl with stop != 0, the device MUST finish any
pending operations like in flight requests. It must also preserve all
the necessary state (the virtqueue vring base plus the possible device
specific states) that is required for restoring in the future. The
device must not change its configuration after that point.

After the return of ioctl with stop == 0, the device can continue
processing buffers as long as typical conditions are met (vq is enabled,
DRIVER_OK status bit is enabled, etc).

In the future, we will provide features similar to VHOST_USER_GET_INFLIGHT_FD
so the device can save pending operations.

Comments are welcome.

v4:
* Replace VHOST_STOP to VHOST_VDPA_STOP in vhost ioctl switch case too.

v3:
* s/VHOST_STOP/VHOST_VDPA_STOP/
* Add documentation and requirements of the ioctl above its definition.

v2:
* Replace raw _F_STOP with BIT_ULL(_F_STOP).
* Fix obtaining of stop ioctl arg (it was not obtained but written).
* Add stop to vdpa_sim_blk.

Eugenio Pérez (4):
  vdpa: Add stop operation
  vhost-vdpa: introduce STOP backend feature bit
  vhost-vdpa: uAPI to stop the device
  vdpa_sim: Implement stop vdpa op

 drivers/vdpa/vdpa_sim/vdpa_sim.c     | 21 +++++++++++++++++
 drivers/vdpa/vdpa_sim/vdpa_sim.h     |  1 +
 drivers/vdpa/vdpa_sim/vdpa_sim_blk.c |  3 +++
 drivers/vdpa/vdpa_sim/vdpa_sim_net.c |  3 +++
 drivers/vhost/vdpa.c                 | 34 +++++++++++++++++++++++++++-
 include/linux/vdpa.h                 |  6 +++++
 include/uapi/linux/vhost.h           | 14 ++++++++++++
 include/uapi/linux/vhost_types.h     |  2 ++
 8 files changed, 83 insertions(+), 1 deletion(-)

-- 
2.31.1