Subject: Re: [PATCH v5 4/7] can: Kconfig: add CONFIG_CAN_RX_OFFLOAD

From: Jakub Kicinski <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 Jun 2022 15:06:14 -0700

On Tue, 7 Jun 2022 18:22:16 +0200 Max Staudt wrote:
> > Honestly, I am totally happy to have the "default y" tag, the "if
> > unsure, say Y" comment and the "select CAN_RX_OFFLOAD" all together.
> > 
> > Unless I am violating some kind of best practices, I prefer to keep it
> > as-is. Hope this makes sense.  

AFAIU Linus likes for everything that results in code being added to
the kernel to default to n. If the drivers hard-select that Kconfig
why bother user with the question at all? My understanding is that
Linus also likes to keep Kconfig as simple as possible.

> I wholeheartedly agree with Vincent's decision.
> 
> One example case would be users of my can327 driver, as long as it is
> not upstream yet. They need to have RX_OFFLOAD built into their
> distribution's can_dev.ko, otherwise they will have no choice but to
> build their own kernel.

Upstream mentioning out-of-tree modules may have the opposite effect 
to what you intend :( Forgive my ignorance, what's the reason to keep
the driver out of tree?