Subject: Re: [PATCH net-next 02/15] net: phylink: add phylink_pcs_inband()

From: Jakub Kicinski <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2022 10:46:52 -0700

On Wed, 15 Jun 2022 09:16:54 +0100 Russell King (Oracle) wrote:
> > Patch 1 does not need to be backported so I presume it can lose the
> > fixes tag?  
> 
> As the commit talks about fixing something, in my experience the commit
> will get automatically selected for backporting to stable trees whether
> or not it has a fixes tag on it. The only way to stop that happening is
> not through avoiding a fixes tag, but to keep on top of the stable tree
> emails to stop patches being backported that don't need to be.
> 
> If you still want me to remove it, I will, but I predict it will still
> be backported.

Fair, but the argument is not very... "clean", if you will. I read the
argument as "the unwelcome thing is likely to happen anyway, so doesn't
matter". But Fixes serves no purpose here, since we don't expect the
backport. So we are defaulting to adding something useless on the basis
of it not making things worse?

I'm only saying that to make sure I understand your perspective.
Obviously not something I'd hold your patches over, fine either way.