Subject: Re: [PATCH RFC net-next 5/6] net: dsa: always use phylink for CPU and DSA ports

From: Marek Behún <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 1 Jul 2022 21:34:35 +0200

On Wed, 29 Jun 2022 13:51:43 +0100
"Russell King (Oracle)" <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Currently, we only use phylink for CPU and DSA ports if there is a
> fixed-link specification, or a PHY specified. The reason for this
> behaviour is that when neither is specified, there was no way for
> phylink to know the link parameters.
> 
> Now that we have phylink_set_max_link_speed() (which has become
> possible through the addition of mac_capabilities) we now have the
> ability to know the maximum link speed for a specific link, and can
> now use phylink for this case as well.
> 
> However, we need DSA drivers to report the interface mode being used
> on these ports so that we can select a maximum speed appropriate for
> the interface mode that hardware may have configured for the port.
> 
> This is especially important with the conversion of DSA drivers to
> phylink_pcs, as the PCS code only gets called if we are using
> phylink for the port.
> 
> Signed-off-by: Russell King (Oracle) <[email-masked]>

Reviewed-by: Marek Behún <[email-masked]>

So this is the one that may break other drivers?

Marek