Subject: Re: Patch "usbnet: smsc95xx: Forward PHY interrupts to PHY driver to avoid polling" has been added to the 5.15-stable tree

From: Lukas Wunner <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2022 15:21:37 +0200

Dear Sasha, Dear Greg,

On Mon, Aug 15, 2022 at 02:12:23AM -0400, Sasha Levin wrote:
> This is a note to let you know that I've just added the patch titled
> 
>     usbnet: smsc95xx: Forward PHY interrupts to PHY driver to avoid polling
> 
> to the 5.15-stable tree which can be found at:

Please consider reverting upstream commit

  1ce8b37241ed291af56f7a49bbdbf20c08728e88
  usbnet: smsc95xx: Forward PHY interrupts to PHY driver to avoid polling")

in 5.15-stable and 5.18-stable.

I have received two independent reports (from Mark Brown and Phil Elwell)
that the commit breaks link detection on LAN95xx USB Ethernet adapters
in those trees.

The commit works fine in v5.19, but the backports to 5.15 and 5.18 are
apparently missing prerequisites.  Until we've figured out what those are,
the commit should be reverted.

Thank you!

Lukas