Subject: Re: [PATCH net-next v3 2/3] sfc: support PTP over IPv6/UDP

From: Jakub Kicinski <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2022 17:28:53 -0700

On Mon, 29 Aug 2022 09:03:44 +0200 Íñigo Huguet wrote:
> > We usually defer refactoring for coding style issues until someone
> > is otherwise touching the code, so surrounding code doing something
> > against the guidance may be misleading.
> 
> Yes but I'm not sure what I should do in this case... all other
> efx_filter_xxx functions are in filter.h, so putting this one in a
> different place could make it difficult to understand how the files
> are organized. Should I put the declaration in the header (without
> `inline`) and the definition in a new filter.c file? Should I move all
> other definitions to this new file?

Hm, I see, perhaps adding a new filter.c would be too much for your set.
Let's leave the definition in the header then.

> Also, what's exactly the rule, apart from not using `inline`, to avoid
> doing the same thing again: to avoid function definitions directly in
> header files?

Not sure I'm parsing the question right, but it's okay to add small
functions in local headers. Here it seem to have only been used in
one place, and I didn't see the context.