Subject: Re: [PATCH net-next 0/2] ice: support FEC automatic disable

From: Jakub Kicinski <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2022 14:44:51 -0700

On Tue, 30 Aug 2022 13:09:20 -0700 Jacob Keller wrote:
> I'm trying to figure out what my next steps are here.
> 
> Jakub, from earlier discussion it sounded like you are ok with accepting
> patch to include "No FEC" into our auto override behavior, with no uAPI
> changes. Is that still ok given the recent dicussion regarding going
> beyond the spec?

Yes, I reserve the right to change my mind :) but AFAIU it doesn't make
things worse, so fine by me.

> I'm also happy to rename the flag in ice so that its not misnamed and
> clearly indicates its behavior.

Which flag? A new ethtool priv flag?

> Gal seems against extending uAPI to indicate or support "ignore spec".
> To be properly correct that would mean changing ice to stop setting the
> AUTO_FEC flag. As explained above, I believe this will lead to breakage
> in situations where we used to link and function properly.

Stop setting the AUTO_FEC flag or start using a new standard compliant
AUTO flag?

Gal, within the spec do you iterate over modes or pick one mode somehow
(the spec gives a set, AFAICT)?

> I have no way to verify whether other vendors actually follow this or
> not, as it essentially requires checking with modules that wouldn't link
> otherwise and likely requires a lot of trial and error.

Getting some input from Broadcom or Netronome would be useful, yes :(