Subject: driver uABI review list? (was: Re: [PATCH/RFC net-next 0/3] nfp: support VF multi-queues configuration)

From: Jakub Kicinski <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2022 06:34:48 -0700

On Tue, 20 Sep 2022 16:14:16 +0100 Simon Horman wrote:
> this short series adds the max_vf_queue generic devlink device parameter,
> the intention of this is to allow configuration of the number of queues
> associated with VFs, and facilitates having VFs with different queue
> counts.
> 
> The series also adds support for multi-queue VFs to the nfp driver
> and support for the max_vf_queue feature described above.

I think a similar API was discussed in the past by... Broadcom?
IIRC they wanted more flexibility, i.e. being able to set the
guaranteed and max allowed queue count.

Overall this seems like a typical resource division problem so 
we should try to use the devlink resource API or similar. More 
complex policies like guaranteed+max are going to be a pain over
params.

I wanted to ask a more general question, however. I see that you
haven't CCed even the major (for some def.) vendors' maintainers.

Would it be helpful for participation if we had a separate mailing 
list for discussing driver uAPI introduction which would hopefully 
be lower traffic? Or perhaps we can require a subject tag ([PATCH
net-next uapi] ?) so that people can set up email filters?

The cost is obviously yet another process thing to remember, and 
while this is nothing that lore+lei can't already do based on file 
path filters - I doubt y'all care enough to set that up for
yourselves... :)