Subject: [PATCH net-next v2 0/7] Netlink protocol specs

From: Jakub Kicinski <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2022 19:34:11 -0700

Hi!

I think the Netlink proto specs are far along enough to merge.
Filling in all attribute types and quirks will be an ongoing
effort but we have enough to cover FOU so it's somewhat complete.

I fully intend to continue polishing the code but at the same
time I'd like to start helping others base their work on the
specs (e.g. DPLL) and need to start working on some new families
myself.

That's the progress / motivation for merging. The RFC [1] has more
of a high level blurb, plus I created a lot of documentation, I'm
not going to repeat it here. There was also the talk at LPC [2].

[1] https://lore.kernel.org/all/[email-masked]/
[2] https://youtu.be/9QkXIQXkaQk?t=2562

v2:
 - update docs
 - change comment format in uAPI from // to /* */
 - rename fou.c to make linker happy

Jakub Kicinski (7):
  docs: add more netlink docs (incl. spec docs)
  netlink: add schemas for YAML specs
  net: add basic C code generators for Netlink
  netlink: add a proto specification for FOU
  net: fou: regenerate the uAPI from the spec
  net: fou: rename the source for linking
  net: fou: use policy and operation tables generated from the spec

 Documentation/core-api/index.rst              |    1 +
 Documentation/core-api/netlink.rst            |   99 +
 Documentation/netlink/genetlink-c.yaml        |  287 +++
 Documentation/netlink/genetlink-legacy.yaml   |  313 +++
 Documentation/netlink/genetlink.yaml          |  252 +++
 Documentation/netlink/specs/fou.yaml          |  128 ++
 .../userspace-api/netlink/c-code-gen.rst      |  104 +
 .../netlink/genetlink-legacy.rst              |   96 +
 Documentation/userspace-api/netlink/index.rst |    5 +
 Documentation/userspace-api/netlink/specs.rst |  410 ++++
 MAINTAINERS                                   |    3 +
 include/uapi/linux/fou.h                      |   54 +-
 net/ipv4/Makefile                             |    1 +
 net/ipv4/fou-nl.c                             |   48 +
 net/ipv4/fou-nl.h                             |   25 +
 net/ipv4/{fou.c => fou_core.c}                |   51 +-
 tools/net/ynl/ynl-gen-c.py                    | 1998 +++++++++++++++++
 tools/net/ynl/ynl-regen.sh                    |   30 +
 18 files changed, 3835 insertions(+), 70 deletions(-)
 create mode 100644 Documentation/core-api/netlink.rst
 create mode 100644 Documentation/netlink/genetlink-c.yaml
 create mode 100644 Documentation/netlink/genetlink-legacy.yaml
 create mode 100644 Documentation/netlink/genetlink.yaml
 create mode 100644 Documentation/netlink/specs/fou.yaml
 create mode 100644 Documentation/userspace-api/netlink/c-code-gen.rst
 create mode 100644 Documentation/userspace-api/netlink/genetlink-legacy.rst
 create mode 100644 Documentation/userspace-api/netlink/specs.rst
 create mode 100644 net/ipv4/fou-nl.c
 create mode 100644 net/ipv4/fou-nl.h
 rename net/ipv4/{fou.c => fou_core.c} (94%)
 create mode 100755 tools/net/ynl/ynl-gen-c.py
 create mode 100755 tools/net/ynl/ynl-regen.sh

-- 
2.37.3