Subject: Re: [PATCH] net: prestera: acl: Add check for kmemdup

From: Jakub Kicinski <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2022 08:44:31 -0700

On Fri, 30 Sep 2022 08:20:47 -0700 Joe Perches wrote:
> IMO: If Volodymyr wants to be a maintainer here, he should put
> his email as an entry in the MAINTAINERS file for the subsystem.

It's about Fixes tags, unfortunately having everyone of note listed 
in MAINTAINERS is pretty much impossible. Even tho we are trying.

> > > Maybe there is a problem of the script that misses one.  
> 
> I don't think so.  Maybe you have more evidence...

I'll CC you when I tell people to CC authors of patches under Fixes
going forward, I don't have a list going back.

> > > Anyway, I have already submitted the same patch and added
> > > "[email-masked]" this time.  
> > 
> > Ha! So you do indeed use it in a way I wasn't expecting :S
> > Thanks for the explanation.
> > 
> > Joe, would you be okay to add a "big fat warning" to get_maintainer
> > when people try to use the -f flag?  
> 
> No, not really.  -f isn't required when the file is in git anyway.

Ah. Yeah. I'd make it error out when run on a source file without -f :S

> > Maybe we can also change the message
> > that's displayed when the script is run without arguments to not
> > mention -f?  
> 
> I think that's a poor idea as frequently the script isn't used
> on patches but simply to identify the maintainers of a particular
> file or subsystem.

Identify the maintainers and report a bug, or something else? As a
maintainer I can tell you that I don't see bug reports as often as I
see trivial patches from noobs which miss CCs. And I personally don't
think I ever used get_maintainer on anything else than a patch.

> > We're getting quite a few fixes which don't CC author, I'm guessing
> > Jiasheng's approach may be a common one.  
> 
> There's no great way to identify "author" or "original submitter"
> and frequently the "original submitter" isn't a maintainer anyway.

Confusing sentence. We want for people who s-o-b'd the commit under
Fixes to be CCed.