Subject: Re: [PATCH net-next] ibmvnic: Free rwi on reset success

From: Jakub Kicinski <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2022 13:06:06 -0700

On Tue, 18 Oct 2022 15:01:13 -0500 Nick Child wrote:
> On 10/18/22 13:45, Jakub Kicinski wrote:
> > On Mon, 17 Oct 2022 10:15:16 -0500 Nick Child wrote:  
> >> Subject: [PATCH net-next] ibmvnic: Free rwi on reset success  
> > 
> > Why net-next? it's a fix, right? it should go to Linus in the current
> > release cycle, i.e. the next -rc release.  
> 
> Apologies, I must have misunderstood when to use net vs net-next.
> The bug has been around since v5.14 so I did not want to clutter
> net inbox with things not directly relevant to v6.1.
> Would you like me to resend with the `net` tag?

Yes, anything that's a fix for code which is already present in net
should go to net. It will then make it to Linus within a week, and
Greg KH & co. can pick it up for stable trees (like 5.14) some time
later.

> > Please make sure to CC the authors of the change under Fixes, and
> > the maintainers of the driver. ./scripts/get_maintainer is your friend.  
> 
> The ibmvnic list of maintainers is due for an update. I have added the 
> current team to the CC list. We will have a patch out soon to update 
> MAINTAINERS.

I figured that may be the case, if it's not a problem I'd CC everyone
even if you know some of the addresses will bounce. Removes the need
for us to manually check why people aren't CCed.

BTW when you send the update to MAINTAINERS please target net as well,
MAINTAINERS updates are fast-tracked like fixes.