Subject: Re: [PATCH net-next 12/13] genetlink: allow families to use split ops directly

From: Jakub Kicinski <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2022 12:57:45 -0700

On Wed, 19 Oct 2022 21:37:41 +0200 Johannes Berg wrote:
> > > You mean "Full ops would have [...] while split ops allow individual
> > > [...]" or so?  
> > 
> > Split ops end up being larger as we need a separate entry for each 
> > do and dump. So I think it's right?
> 
> Indeed.
> 
> Oh, I see now, you were basically saying "it's only 9% bigger for all
> that extra flexibility" ... didn't read that right before.

Yup, BTW one annoying bit is that we treat maxattr == 0 as 
"no validation" rather than "reject everything".

Right now I add a reject-all policy in the family itself (with two
entries, argh), and hook it up to parameter-less dumps. But we could 
do something else - like modify the behavior in case the op was declared
as split at the family level.

I opted for having family add the reject-all policy because I code gen
the policies based on YAML spec, anyway, so not much extra effort, and
the uniformity between different type of ops seems worth maintaining.

WDYT?