Subject: Re: [PATCH v2 net-next 3/5] ionic: new ionic device identity level and VF start control

From: Jakub Kicinski <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2022 09:31:01 -0700

On Tue, 25 Oct 2022 21:23:53 -0700 Shannon Nelson wrote:
> These additions are matching the style that is already in the file, 
> which I think has some merit.  Sure, I'll fix these specific kdoc 
> complaints, but those few bits are going to look weirdly out-of-place 
> with the rest of the file.

Gotta start somewhere...

> I see that kdoc is unhappy with that whole file, but I wasn't prepared 
> today to be tweaking the rest of the file to make kdoc happy.  That is 
> now on my list of near-future To-Do items.

Yeah, no need to do a whole-sale fix in this series, let's just prevent
new problems from coming in.

> Just curious - when was the kdoc check added to the netdev submission 
> checks?  Have I just been missing it in the past?

I was wondering as well, our check is pretty old, perhaps the behavior
of ./scripts/kernel-doc changed or we just weren't as strict in
enforcing this as maintainers?  Kdoc mis-formatting happens
sufficiently infrequently to make enforcing "no new warnings" feasible.
I think mostly due to W=1 catching the issues in source files,
so people notice right away. Unfortunately it doesn't check headers.