Subject: [PATCH 3/3] s390/lcs: Fix return type of lcs_start_xmit()

From: Nathan Chancellor <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 Nov 2022 09:32:52 -0700

With clang's kernel control flow integrity (kCFI, CONFIG_CFI_CLANG),
indirect call targets are validated against the expected function
pointer prototype to make sure the call target is valid to help mitigate
ROP attacks. If they are not identical, there is a failure at run time,
which manifests as either a kernel panic or thread getting killed. A
proposed warning in clang aims to catch these at compile time, which
reveals:

  drivers/s390/net/lcs.c:2090:21: error: incompatible function pointer types initializing 'netdev_tx_t (*)(struct sk_buff *, struct net_device *)' (aka 'enum netdev_tx (*)(struct sk_buff *, struct net_device *)') with an expression of type 'int (struct sk_buff *, struct net_device *)' [-Werror,-Wincompatible-function-pointer-types-strict]
          .ndo_start_xmit         = lcs_start_xmit,
                                    ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  drivers/s390/net/lcs.c:2097:21: error: incompatible function pointer types initializing 'netdev_tx_t (*)(struct sk_buff *, struct net_device *)' (aka 'enum netdev_tx (*)(struct sk_buff *, struct net_device *)') with an expression of type 'int (struct sk_buff *, struct net_device *)' [-Werror,-Wincompatible-function-pointer-types-strict]
          .ndo_start_xmit         = lcs_start_xmit,
                                    ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~

->ndo_start_xmit() in 'struct net_device_ops' expects a return type of
'netdev_tx_t', not 'int'. Adjust the return type of lcs_start_xmit() to
match the prototype's to resolve the warning and potential CFI failure,
should s390 select ARCH_SUPPORTS_CFI_CLANG in the future.

Link: https://github.com/ClangBuiltLinux/linux/issues/1750
Signed-off-by: Nathan Chancellor <[email-masked]>
---
 drivers/s390/net/lcs.c | 4 ++--
 1 file changed, 2 insertions(+), 2 deletions(-)

diff --git a/drivers/s390/net/lcs.c b/drivers/s390/net/lcs.c
index 84c8981317b4..4cbb9802bf22 100644
--- a/drivers/s390/net/lcs.c
+++ b/drivers/s390/net/lcs.c
@@ -1519,7 +1519,7 @@ lcs_txbuffer_cb(struct lcs_channel *channel, struct lcs_buffer *buffer)
 /*
  * Packet transmit function called by network stack
  */
-static int
+static netdev_tx_t
 __lcs_start_xmit(struct lcs_card *card, struct sk_buff *skb,
 		 struct net_device *dev)
 {
@@ -1582,7 +1582,7 @@ __lcs_start_xmit(struct lcs_card *card, struct sk_buff *skb,
 	return rc;
 }
 
-static int
+static netdev_tx_t
 lcs_start_xmit(struct sk_buff *skb, struct net_device *dev)
 {
 	struct lcs_card *card;
-- 
2.38.1