Subject: [PATCH v4a 01/38] SUNRPC/xprt: Use del_timer_sync() instead of del_singleshot_timer_sync()

From: Steven Rostedt <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 05 Nov 2022 02:00:25 -0400

From: "Steven Rostedt (Google)" <[email-masked]>

Back on June 22, 2005, it was decided to use del_singleshot_timer_sync()
because it wouldn't loop like del_timer_sync(), and since the timer that
was being removed was not about to be rearmed, it was considered an
efficiency to use del_singleshot_timer_sync() over del_timer_sync().

But on June 23, 2005, commit 55c888d6d09a0 ("timers fixes/improvements")
happened, which converted del_singleshot_timer_sync() into:

 #define del_singleshot_timer_sync(t) del_timer_sync(t)

Making the to equivalent.

Now work is being done to add a "shutdown" state to timers where a timer
must be in that state in order to be freed to prevent use-after-free bugs
caused by timers being re-armed just before being freed, the
del_singleshot_timer_sync() is now being converted into something that
will set the timer to the shutdown state. This means that once
del_singleshot_timer_sync() is called, the timer can no longer be
re-armed.

As the timer here will be re-armed, it can not use del_singleshot_timer_sync().
But as the reason it was used in the first place no longer exists, just
use del_timer_sync().

Link: https://lore.kernel.org/lkml/[email-masked]/

Cc: Chuck Lever <[email-masked]>
Cc: Jeff Layton <[email-masked]>
Cc: Trond Myklebust <[email-masked]>
Cc: Anna Schumaker <[email-masked]>
Cc: "David S. Miller" <[email-masked]>
Cc: Eric Dumazet <[email-masked]>
Cc: Jakub Kicinski <[email-masked]>
Cc: Paolo Abeni <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Fixes: 0f9dc2b16884b ("RPC: Clean up socket autodisconnect")
Signed-off-by: Steven Rostedt (Google) <[email-masked]>
---
 net/sunrpc/xprt.c | 2 +-
 1 file changed, 1 insertion(+), 1 deletion(-)

diff --git a/net/sunrpc/xprt.c b/net/sunrpc/xprt.c
index 656cec208371..ab453ede54f0 100644
--- a/net/sunrpc/xprt.c
+++ b/net/sunrpc/xprt.c
@@ -1164,7 +1164,7 @@ xprt_request_enqueue_receive(struct rpc_task *task)
 	spin_unlock(&xprt->queue_lock);
 
 	/* Turn off autodisconnect */
-	del_singleshot_timer_sync(&xprt->timer);
+	del_timer_sync(&xprt->timer);
 	return 0;
 }
 
-- 
2.35.1