Subject: [GIT PULL] treewide: timers: Use timer_shutdown*() before freeing timers

From: Steven Rostedt <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 6 Nov 2022 22:32:56 -0500

Linus,

As discussed here:

  https://lore.kernel.org/all/[email-masked]/

Add a "shutdown" state for timers. This is performed by the new
timer_shutdown_sync() and timer_shutdown() function calls. When this is
called on a timer, it will no longer be able to be re-armed. This should
be called before a timer is freed to prevent it from being re-armed after
being removed from the timer queue and then causing a crash in the timer
code when the timer triggers.

This required renaming some functions that were using the name
timer_shutdown() statically to something more appropriate.

Then a coccinelle script was executed on the entire kernel tree to find
the trivial locations that remove the timer and then frees the object that
the timer exists on.

These changes are not enough to solve all the locations where timers may
be of an issue. But by adding the shutdown infrastructure and the obvious
cases, the more complex cases can be added after they have been reviewed
more closely.

Please pull the following tree, which can be found at:

  git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/rostedt/linux-trace.git
add-timer-shutdown

Tag SHA1: 7685328352dfd2908e23048f563e328dbd3526e9
Head SHA1: 870556da63870e01ade9bb8418ac5a21862f2f10

Steven Rostedt (Google) (5):
      ARM: spear: Do not use timer namespace for timer_shutdown() function
      clocksource/drivers/arm_arch_timer: Do not use timer namespace for timer_shutdown() function
      clocksource/drivers/sp804: Do not use timer namespace for timer_shutdown() function
      timers: Add timer_shutdown_sync() and timer_shutdown() to be called before freeing timers
      treewide: Convert del_timer*() to timer_shutdown*()

----
 .../RCU/Design/Requirements/Requirements.rst       |  2 +-
 Documentation/core-api/local_ops.rst               |  2 +-
 Documentation/kernel-hacking/locking.rst           |  5 ++
 arch/arm/mach-spear/time.c                         |  8 +--
 arch/sh/drivers/push-switch.c                      |  2 +-
 block/blk-iocost.c                                 |  2 +-
 block/blk-iolatency.c                              |  2 +-
 block/kyber-iosched.c                              |  2 +-
 drivers/acpi/apei/ghes.c                           |  2 +-
 drivers/atm/idt77252.c                             |  6 +-
 drivers/block/drbd/drbd_main.c                     |  2 +-
 drivers/block/loop.c                               |  2 +-
 drivers/bluetooth/hci_bcsp.c                       |  2 +-
 drivers/bluetooth/hci_qca.c                        |  4 +-
 drivers/clocksource/arm_arch_timer.c               | 12 ++--
 drivers/clocksource/timer-sp804.c                  |  6 +-
 drivers/gpu/drm/i915/i915_sw_fence.c               |  2 +-
 drivers/hid/hid-wiimote-core.c                     |  2 +-
 drivers/input/keyboard/locomokbd.c                 |  2 +-
 drivers/input/keyboard/omap-keypad.c               |  2 +-
 drivers/input/mouse/alps.c                         |  2 +-
 drivers/isdn/mISDN/l1oip_core.c                    |  4 +-
 drivers/isdn/mISDN/timerdev.c                      |  4 +-
 drivers/leds/trigger/ledtrig-activity.c            |  2 +-
 drivers/leds/trigger/ledtrig-heartbeat.c           |  2 +-
 drivers/leds/trigger/ledtrig-pattern.c             |  2 +-
 drivers/leds/trigger/ledtrig-transient.c           |  2 +-
 drivers/media/pci/ivtv/ivtv-driver.c               |  2 +-
 drivers/media/usb/pvrusb2/pvrusb2-hdw.c            | 16 +++---
 drivers/media/usb/s2255/s2255drv.c                 |  4 +-
 drivers/net/ethernet/intel/i40e/i40e_main.c        |  6 +-
 drivers/net/ethernet/marvell/sky2.c                |  2 +-
 drivers/net/ethernet/sun/sunvnet.c                 |  2 +-
 drivers/net/usb/sierra_net.c                       |  2 +-
 .../wireless/broadcom/brcm80211/brcmfmac/btcoex.c  |  2 +-
 drivers/net/wireless/intel/iwlwifi/iwl-dbg-tlv.c   |  2 +-
 drivers/net/wireless/intel/iwlwifi/mvm/sta.c       |  2 +-
 drivers/net/wireless/intersil/hostap/hostap_ap.c   |  2 +-
 drivers/net/wireless/marvell/mwifiex/main.c        |  2 +-
 drivers/net/wireless/microchip/wilc1000/hif.c      |  6 +-
 drivers/nfc/pn533/pn533.c                          |  2 +-
 drivers/nfc/pn533/uart.c                           |  2 +-
 drivers/pcmcia/bcm63xx_pcmcia.c                    |  2 +-
 drivers/pcmcia/electra_cf.c                        |  2 +-
 drivers/pcmcia/omap_cf.c                           |  2 +-
 drivers/pcmcia/pd6729.c                            |  4 +-
 drivers/pcmcia/yenta_socket.c                      |  4 +-
 drivers/scsi/qla2xxx/qla_edif.c                    |  4 +-
 drivers/staging/media/atomisp/i2c/atomisp-lm3554.c |  2 +-
 drivers/tty/n_gsm.c                                |  2 +-
 drivers/tty/sysrq.c                                |  2 +-
 drivers/usb/gadget/udc/m66592-udc.c                |  2 +-
 drivers/usb/serial/garmin_gps.c                    |  2 +-
 drivers/usb/serial/mos7840.c                       |  4 +-
 fs/ext4/super.c                                    |  2 +-
 fs/nilfs2/segment.c                                |  2 +-
 include/linux/timer.h                              | 62 +++++++++++++++++++--
 kernel/time/timer.c                                | 64 ++++++++++++----------
 net/802/garp.c                                     |  2 +-
 net/802/mrp.c                                      |  4 +-
 net/bridge/br_multicast.c                          |  8 +--
 net/bridge/br_multicast_eht.c                      |  4 +-
 net/core/gen_estimator.c                           |  2 +-
 net/ipv4/ipmr.c                                    |  2 +-
 net/ipv6/ip6mr.c                                   |  2 +-
 net/mac80211/mesh_pathtbl.c                        |  2 +-
 net/netfilter/ipset/ip_set_list_set.c              |  2 +-
 net/netfilter/ipvs/ip_vs_lblc.c                    |  2 +-
 net/netfilter/ipvs/ip_vs_lblcr.c                   |  2 +-
 net/netfilter/xt_IDLETIMER.c                       |  4 +-
 net/netfilter/xt_LED.c                             |  2 +-
 net/rxrpc/conn_object.c                            |  2 +-
 net/sched/cls_flow.c                               |  2 +-
 net/sunrpc/svc.c                                   |  2 +-
 net/tipc/discover.c                                |  2 +-
 net/tipc/monitor.c                                 |  2 +-
 sound/i2c/other/ak4117.c                           |  2 +-
 sound/synth/emux/emux.c                            |  2 +-
 78 files changed, 207 insertions(+), 148 deletions(-)
---------------------------