Subject: Re: [PATCH 3/9] net: dsa: mv88e6xxx: implement get_phy_address

From: Lukasz Majewski <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2022 18:00:53 +0100

Hi Andrew,

> > Would it be possible to do like armada-3720-turris-mox.dts does,
> > and put the phy-handle in the device tree, avoiding the need for so
> > many PHY address translation quirks?
> > 
> > If you're going to have U-Boot support for this switch as well, the
> > phy-handle mechanism is the only thing that U-Boot supports,

Maybe in the generic case of PHY, yes (via Driver Model).

However, when you delve into the mv88e6xxx driver [1] - you would find
that this is not supporting it yet ...

> > so
> > device trees written in this way will work for both (and can be
> > passed by U-Boot to Linux):  
> 
> This is how i expect any board using the MV88E6141 and MV88E6341 work.
> It has the same issue that it is not a 1:1 mapping.

Please be aware that there is also majority of DTS entries, which use
the "old" switch description ...

> 
> Portability with U-boot is an interesting argument. Maybe there are
> patches to u-boot to add the same sort of quirks?

As fair as I know - for the driver [1] - there was no ongoing effort
recently.

> 	Andrew

Links:
[1] -
https://source.denx.de/u-boot/u-boot/-/blob/master/drivers/net/phy/mv88e61xx.c

Best regards,

Lukasz Majewski

--

DENX Software Engineering GmbH,      Managing Director: Wolfgang Denk
HRB 165235 Munich, Office: Kirchenstr.5, D-82194 Groebenzell, Germany
Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-59 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: [email-masked]