Subject: [patch V3 01/17] Documentation: Remove bogus claim about del_timer_sync()

From: Thomas Gleixner <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2022 21:18:31 +0100 (CET)

del_timer_sync() does not return the number of times it tried to delete the
timer which rearms itself. It's clearly documented:

 The function returns whether it has deactivated a pending timer or not.

This part of the documentation is from 2003 where del_timer_sync() really
returned the number of deletion attempts for unknown reasons. The code
was rewritten in 2005, but the documentation was not updated.

Signed-off-by: Thomas Gleixner <[email-masked]>
Reviewed-by: Jacob Keller <[email-masked]>
---
 Documentation/kernel-hacking/locking.rst                    |    3 +--
 Documentation/translations/it_IT/kernel-hacking/locking.rst |    4 +---
 2 files changed, 2 insertions(+), 5 deletions(-)

--- a/Documentation/kernel-hacking/locking.rst
+++ b/Documentation/kernel-hacking/locking.rst
@@ -1006,8 +1006,7 @@ Another common problem is deleting timer
 calling add_timer() at the end of their timer function).
 Because this is a fairly common case which is prone to races, you should
 use del_timer_sync() (``include/linux/timer.h``) to
-handle this case. It returns the number of times the timer had to be
-deleted before we finally stopped it from adding itself back in.
+handle this case.
 
 Locking Speed
 =============
--- a/Documentation/translations/it_IT/kernel-hacking/locking.rst
+++ b/Documentation/translations/it_IT/kernel-hacking/locking.rst
@@ -1027,9 +1027,7 @@ Un altro problema è l'eliminazione dei
 da soli (chiamando add_timer() alla fine della loro esecuzione).
 Dato che questo è un problema abbastanza comune con una propensione
 alle corse critiche, dovreste usare del_timer_sync()
-(``include/linux/timer.h``) per gestire questo caso. Questa ritorna il
-numero di volte che il temporizzatore è stato interrotto prima che
-fosse in grado di fermarlo senza che si riavviasse.
+(``include/linux/timer.h``) per gestire questo caso.
 
 Velocità della sincronizzazione
 ===============================