Subject: Re: [PATCH net-next v3] dsa: lan9303: Add 3 ethtool stats

From: Jakub Kicinski <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2022 08:52:26 -0800

On Wed, 30 Nov 2022 15:51:44 +0000 [email-masked] wrote:
>> Why not add them there as well?
>>
>> Are these drops accounted for in any drop / error statistics within
>> rtnl_link_stats?
>>
>> It's okay to provide implementation specific breakdown via ethtool -S
>> but user must be able to notice that there are some drops / errors in
>> the system by looking at standard stats.
> 
> The idea here is to provide the statistics as documented in the part
> datasheet.  In the future, I'll be looking to add support for the stats64
> API and will deal with appropriately sorting the available hardware stats
> into the rtnl_link_stats buckets.

Upstream we care about providing reasonably uniform experience across
drivers and vendors. Because I don't know you and therefore don't trust
you to follow up you must do the standard thing in the same patch set,
pretty please.