Subject: Re: [RFC PATCH net-next 08/19] pds_core: initial VF configuration

From: Jakub Kicinski <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2022 19:45:06 -0800

On Wed, 30 Nov 2022 16:12:23 -0800 Shannon Nelson wrote:
> > Enough back and forth. I'm not going to come up with a special model
> > just for you when a model already exists, and you present no technical
> > argument against it.
> > 
> > I am against merging your code, if you want to override find other
> > vendors and senior upstream reviewers who will side with you.  
> 
> We're not asking for a special model, just to use the PF interface to 
> configure VFs as has been the practice in the past.

It simply does not compute for me. You're exposing a very advanced vDPA
interface, and yet you say you don't need any network configuration
beyond what Niantic had.

There are no upstream-minded users of IPUs, if it was up to me I'd flat
out ban them from the kernel.

> Anyway, this feature can wait and we can work out alternatives later. 
> For now, we'll drop the netdev portion from the driver and rework the 
> other bits as discussed in other messages.  I'll likely have a v2 for 
> comments sometime next week.

Seems reasonable, if it doesn't live in networking and doesn't use any
networking APIs it won't matter to me.