Subject: Re: [RFC PATCH v4 2/4] dpll: Add DPLL framework base functions

From: Jakub Kicinski <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 5 Dec 2022 16:19:33 -0800

On Mon, 5 Dec 2022 11:32:04 +0100 Jiri Pirko wrote:
> >> I believe we should do it only the other way around. Assign
> >> dpll_pin pointer to struct net_device and expose this over new attr
> >> IFLA_DPLL_PIN over RT netlink.  
> >
> >The ID table is global, what's the relationship between DPLLs
> >and net namespaces? We tie DPLLs to a devlink instance which
> >has a namespace? We pretend namespaces don't exist? :S  
> 
> Well, if would be odd to put dpll itself into a namespace. It might not
> have anything to do with networking, for example in case of ptp_ocp.
> What would mean for a dpll to be in a net namespace?

Yeah, that's a slightly tricky one. We'd probably need some form 
of second order association. Easiest if we link it to a devlink
instance, I reckon. The OCP clock card does not have netdevs so we
can't follow the namespace of netdevs (which would be the second
option).