Subject: Re: [PATCH linux-next] net: record times of netdev_budget exhausted

From: Jakub Kicinski <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 Dec 2022 15:32:56 -0800

On Wed, 7 Dec 2022 20:30:08 +0800 (CST) [email-masked] wrote:
> > Presumably, modern tracing techniques can let you do what you want
> > without adding new counters.  
> 
> By the way, should we add a tracepoint likes trace_napi_poll() to make
> it easier? Something likes:
>         if (unlikely(budget <= 0 ||
>                  time_after_eq(jiffies, time_limit))) {
>             sd->time_squeeze++;
> +            trace_napi_poll(budget, jiffies, time_limit);
>             break;
>         }

In my experience - no this is not useful.

Sorry if this is too direct, but it seems to me like you're trying hard
to find something useful to do in this area without a clear use case. 
We have coding tasks which would definitely be useful and which nobody
has time to accomplish. Please ask if you're trying to find something
to do.