Subject: [PATCH net-next 00/14] devlink: code split and structured instance walk

From: Jakub Kicinski <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 Jan 2023 20:16:22 -0800

Split devlink.c into a handful of files, trying to keep the "core"
code away from all the command-specific implementations.
The core code has been quite scattered until now. Going forward we can
consider using a source file per-subobject, I think that it's quite
beneficial to newcomers (based on relative ease with which folks
contribute to ethtool vs devlink). But this series doesn't split
everything out, yet - partially due to backporting concerns,
but mostly due to lack of time. Bulk of the netlink command
handling is left in a leftover.c file.

Introduce a context structure for dumps, and use it to store
the devlink instance ID of the last dumped devlink instance.
This means we don't have to restart the walk from 0 each time.

Finally - introduce a "structured walk". A centralized dump handler
in devlink/netlink.c which walks the devlink instances, deals with
refcounting/locking, simplifying the per-object implementations quite
a bit. Inspired by the ethtool code.

RFC: https://lore.kernel.org/all/[email-masked]/

v1:
 - re-route the locking fix via net
 - rename basic.c -> leftover.c

Jakub Kicinski (14):
  devlink: move code to a dedicated directory
  devlink: split out core code
  devlink: split out netlink code
  netlink: add macro for checking dump ctx size
  devlink: use an explicit structure for dump context
  devlink: remove start variables from dumps
  devlink: drop the filter argument from devlinks_xa_find_get
  devlink: health: combine loops in dump
  devlink: restart dump based on devlink instance ids (simple)
  devlink: restart dump based on devlink instance ids (nested)
  devlink: restart dump based on devlink instance ids (function)
  devlink: uniformly take the devlink instance lock in the dump loop
  devlink: add by-instance dump infra
  devlink: convert remaining dumps to the by-instance scheme

 include/linux/netlink.h                    |    4 +
 net/Makefile                               |    1 +
 net/core/Makefile                          |    1 -
 net/devlink/Makefile                       |    3 +
 net/devlink/core.c                         |  345 +++++
 net/devlink/devl_internal.h                |  205 +++
 net/{core/devlink.c => devlink/leftover.c} | 1460 +++++---------------
 net/devlink/netlink.c                      |  241 ++++
 net/netfilter/nf_conntrack_netlink.c       |    2 +-
 9 files changed, 1157 insertions(+), 1105 deletions(-)
 create mode 100644 net/devlink/Makefile
 create mode 100644 net/devlink/core.c
 create mode 100644 net/devlink/devl_internal.h
 rename net/{core/devlink.c => devlink/leftover.c} (90%)
 create mode 100644 net/devlink/netlink.c

-- 
2.38.1