Subject: [PATCH net-next v4 0/8] Netlink protocol specs

From: Jakub Kicinski <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2023 09:50:33 -0800

I think the Netlink proto specs are far along enough to merge.
Filling in all attribute types and quirks will be an ongoing
effort but we have enough to cover FOU so it's somewhat complete.

I fully intend to continue polishing the code but at the same
time I'd like to start helping others base their work on the
specs (e.g. DPLL) and need to start working on some new families
myself.

That's the progress / motivation for merging. The RFC [1] has more
of a high level blurb, plus I created a lot of documentation, I'm
not going to repeat it here. There was also the talk at LPC [2].

[1] https://lore.kernel.org/all/[email-masked]/
[2] https://youtu.be/9QkXIQXkaQk?t=2562
v2: https://lore.kernel.org/all/[email-masked]/
v3: https://lore.kernel.org/all/[email-masked]/1

v4:
 - spec improvements (patch 2)
 - Python cleanup (patch 3)
 - rename auto-gen files and use the right comment style

Jakub Kicinski (8):
  docs: add more netlink docs (incl. spec docs)
  netlink: add schemas for YAML specs
  net: add basic C code generators for Netlink
  netlink: add a proto specification for FOU
  net: fou: regenerate the uAPI from the spec
  net: fou: rename the source for linking
  net: fou: use policy and operation tables generated from the spec
  tools: ynl: add a completely generic client

 Documentation/core-api/index.rst              |    1 +
 Documentation/core-api/netlink.rst            |  101 +
 Documentation/netlink/genetlink-c.yaml        |  333 +++
 Documentation/netlink/genetlink-legacy.yaml   |  356 +++
 Documentation/netlink/genetlink.yaml          |  298 +++
 Documentation/netlink/specs/fou.yaml          |  128 +
 .../userspace-api/netlink/c-code-gen.rst      |  107 +
 .../netlink/genetlink-legacy.rst              |   96 +
 Documentation/userspace-api/netlink/index.rst |    5 +
 Documentation/userspace-api/netlink/specs.rst |  422 +++
 MAINTAINERS                                   |    3 +
 include/uapi/linux/fou.h                      |   54 +-
 net/ipv4/Makefile                             |    1 +
 net/ipv4/{fou.c => fou_core.c}                |   47 +-
 net/ipv4/fou_nl.c                             |   48 +
 net/ipv4/fou_nl.h                             |   25 +
 tools/net/ynl/samples/cli.py                  |   47 +
 tools/net/ynl/samples/ynl.py                  |  534 ++++
 tools/net/ynl/ynl-gen-c.py                    | 2373 +++++++++++++++++
 tools/net/ynl/ynl-regen.sh                    |   30 +
 20 files changed, 4941 insertions(+), 68 deletions(-)
 create mode 100644 Documentation/core-api/netlink.rst
 create mode 100644 Documentation/netlink/genetlink-c.yaml
 create mode 100644 Documentation/netlink/genetlink-legacy.yaml
 create mode 100644 Documentation/netlink/genetlink.yaml
 create mode 100644 Documentation/netlink/specs/fou.yaml
 create mode 100644 Documentation/userspace-api/netlink/c-code-gen.rst
 create mode 100644 Documentation/userspace-api/netlink/genetlink-legacy.rst
 create mode 100644 Documentation/userspace-api/netlink/specs.rst
 rename net/ipv4/{fou.c => fou_core.c} (94%)
 create mode 100644 net/ipv4/fou_nl.c
 create mode 100644 net/ipv4/fou_nl.h
 create mode 100755 tools/net/ynl/samples/cli.py
 create mode 100644 tools/net/ynl/samples/ynl.py
 create mode 100755 tools/net/ynl/ynl-gen-c.py
 create mode 100755 tools/net/ynl/ynl-regen.sh

-- 
2.39.0