Subject: Re: [PATCH wpan-next 0/2] ieee802154: Beaconing support

From: Miquel Raynal <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2023 13:49:21 +0100

Hi Alexander,

> > btw: what is about security handling... however I would declare this
> > feature as experimental anyway.  
> 
> I haven't tested the security layer at all yet, would you have a few
> commands to start with, which I could try using eg. hwsim?

Using the dev_queue_xmit() doest not bypasses the whole stack anymore,
the beacons got rejected by the llsec layer. I did just hack into it
just to allow unsecure beacons for now:

-       if (hlen < 0 || hdr.fc.type != IEEE802154_FC_TYPE_DATA)
+       if (hlen < 0 ||
+           (hdr.fc.type != IEEE802154_FC_TYPE_DATA &&
+            hdr.fc.type != IEEE802154_FC_TYPE_BEACON))
                return -EINVAL;

I believe that would be enough as a first step, at least for merging
beacons support for now.

However I'll have to look at the spec about security stuff and
beaconing to know how to handle this properly if security was required,
but could you drive me through useful resources were I could quickly
grasp how all that works? Did you make any presentation of it? Perhaps
just a blog post or something alike? Or even just a script showing its
use?

While I was looking at linux-wpan.org, I realized we should both
contribute to it with some examples about security stuff and
beaconing/scanning?

Thanks,
Miquèl