Subject: Re: Kernel interface to configure queue-group parameters

From: Jakub Kicinski <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 8 Feb 2023 16:36:34 -0800

On Tue, 07 Feb 2023 08:28:56 -0800 Alexander H Duyck wrote:
> I think much of this depends on exactly what functionality we are
> talking about. 

Right, maybe we need to take a page out of the container's book and
concede that best we can do is provide targeted APIs for slices of 
the problem. Which someone in user space would have to combine.

> > 4. Devlink:
> >     Pros:
> >     - New parameters can be added without any changes to the kernel or 
> > userspace.
> > 
> >     Cons:
> >     - Queue/Queue_group is a function-wide entity, Devlink is for 
> > device-wide stuff. Devlink being device centric is not suitable for 
> > queue parameters such as rates, NAPI etc.  
> 
> Yeah, I wouldn't expect something like this to be a good fit.

Devlink has the hierarchical rate API for example.
Maybe we should (re)consider adding top level nodes for RSS contexts
there?