Subject: Re: [PATCH net-next v2 0/5] tls: implement key updates for TLS1.3

From: Jakub Kicinski <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2023 11:10:20 -0800

On Wed, 15 Feb 2023 18:29:50 +0100 Sabrina Dubroca wrote:
> > And how will we handle re-keying in offload?  
> 
> Sorry for the stupid question... do you mean that I need to solve that
> problem before this series can progress, or that the cover letter
> should summarize the state of the discussion?

I maintain that 1.3 offload is much more important than rekeying.
Offloads being available for 1.2 may be stalling adoption of 1.3
(just a guess, I run across this article mentioning 1.2 being used
in Oracle cloud for instance:
https://blogs.oracle.com/cloudsecurity/post/how-oci-helps-you-protect-data-with-default-encryption
could be because MITM requirements, or maybe they have HW which
can only do 1.2? Dunno).

But I'm willing to compromise, we just need a solid plan of how to
handle the inevitable. I'm worried that how this will pay out is:
 - you don't care about offload and add rekey
 - vendors don't care about rekey and add 1.3
  ... time passes ...
 - both you and the vendors have moved on
 - users run into issues, waste their time debugging and
   eventually report the problem upstream
 - it's on me to fix?

:(