Subject: Re: [PATCH net-next 1/3] net: provide macros for commonly copied lockless queue stop/wake code

From: Jakub Kicinski <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2023 18:04:06 -0700

CC: maintainers, in case there isn't a repost
https://lore.kernel.org/all/[email-masked]/

On Thu, 23 Mar 2023 01:35:34 +0100 Andrew Lunn wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 22, 2023 at 04:30:26PM -0700, Jakub Kicinski wrote:
> > A lot of drivers follow the same scheme to stop / start queues
> > without introducing locks between xmit and NAPI tx completions.
> > I'm guessing they all copy'n'paste each other's code.
> >
> > Smaller drivers shy away from the scheme and introduce a lock
> > which may cause deadlocks in netpoll.  
> 
> I notice there is no patch 0/X. Seems like the above would be good
> material for it, along with a comment that a few drivers are converted
> to make use of the new macros.

Then do I repeat the same text in the commit? Or cut the commit down?
Doesn't that just take away information from the commit which will
show up in git blame?

Having a cover letter is a good default, and required if the series 
is a larger change decomposed into steps. But here there is a major
change and a bunch of loose conversions. More sample users than
meaningful part.

LMK what your preference for splitting this info is, I'm unsure.