Subject: Re: [PATCH v9 vfio 2/7] vfio/pds: Initial support for pds_vfio VFIO driver

From: Jakub Kicinski <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 May 2023 16:40:05 -0700

On Thu, 4 May 2023 19:41:54 -0300 Jason Gunthorpe wrote:
> On Thu, May 04, 2023 at 01:20:01PM -0700, Jakub Kicinski wrote:
> > On Thu, 4 May 2023 14:26:43 -0300 Jason Gunthorpe wrote:  
> > > This GNU style of left aligning the function name should not be
> > > in the kernel.  
> > 
> > FTR that's not a kernel-wide rule. Please scope your coding style
> > suggestions to your subsystem, you may confuse people.  
> 
> It is what Documentation/process/coding-style.rst expects.

A reference to the section? You mean the vague mentions of the GNU
coding style? That's just a tiny part of the GNU style, the separation
of arg types is probably the most offensive.

If the function declaration does not fit in 80 chars breaking the type
off as a separate line is often a very reasonable choice.

Anyway, I shouldn't complain, networking still has its odd rules.
Probably why people making up rules for no strong reason is on my mind.

> It is good advice for new submitters to follow the common style guide
> consistently. The places that want different can ask for their
> differences during the first review, we don't need to confuse people
> with the reality that everything is an exception to someone somewhere.

Yeah.