Subject: Re: [PATCH net-next RFC v4 4/5] net: Let the active time stamping layer be selectable.

From: Jakub Kicinski <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 May 2023 15:54:39 -0700

On Thu, 11 May 2023 22:06:36 +0100 Russell King (Oracle) wrote:
> I haven't thought this through fully, but just putting this out there
> as a potential suggestion...
> 
> Would it help at all if we distilled the entire timestamping interface
> into a separate set of ops which are registered independently from the
> NDO, and NDO has a call to get the ops for the layer being configured?
> 
> That would allow a netdev driver to return the ops appropriate for the
> MAC layer or its own PHY layer, or maybe phylib.
> 
> In the case of phylib, as there is a raft of drivers that only bind to
> their phylib PHY in the NDO open method, we'd need to figure out how
> to get the ops for the current mode at that time.
> 
> There's probably lots I've missed though...

Sounds reasonable, only question is what to pass as the object (first
argument) of these ops. Some new struct?