Subject: Re: [PATCH net-next v1 1/5] net: dsa: microchip: improving error handling for 8-bit register RMW operations

From: Oleksij Rempel <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 May 2023 19:32:40 +0200

On Wed, May 24, 2023 at 01:39:53PM +0100, Russell King (Oracle) wrote:
> On Wed, May 24, 2023 at 02:32:16PM +0200, Oleksij Rempel wrote:
> > This patch refines the error handling mechanism for 8-bit register
> > read-modify-write operations. In case of a failure, it now logs an error
> > message detailing the problematic offset. This enhancement aids in
> > debugging by providing more precise information when these operations
> > encounter issues.
> > 
> > Furthermore, the ksz_prmw8() function has been updated to return error
> > values rather than void, enabling calling functions to appropriately
> > respond to errors.
> 
> What happens when there is an error that affects the current and future
> accesses? Does this PHY driver then begin to flood the kernel log?

Yes. In the same way as it is done in all ksz_read*/ksz_write* helpers.

-- 
Pengutronix e.K.                           |                             |
Steuerwalder Str. 21                       | http://www.pengutronix.de/  |
31137 Hildesheim, Germany                  | Phone: +49-5121-206917-0    |
Amtsgericht Hildesheim, HRA 2686           | Fax:   +49-5121-206917-5555 |