Subject: Re: [PATCH v1 net-next 00/14] udp: Farewell to UDP-Lite.

From: Jakub Kicinski <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 May 2023 15:14:01 -0700

On Tue, 30 May 2023 16:16:20 -0400 Willem de Bruijn wrote:
> Is it a significant burden to keep the protocol, in case anyone is
> willing to maintain it?
> 
> If consensus is that it is time to remove, a warning may not be
> sufficient for people to notice.
> 
> Perhaps break it, but in a way that can be undone trivially,
> preferably even without recompiling the kernel. Say, returning
> EOPNOTSUPP on socket creation, unless a sysctl has some magic
> non-deprecated value. But maybe I'm overthinking it. There must be
> prior art for this?

It may be the most intertwined feature we attempted to remove.
UFO was smaller, right?

Did deprecation warnings ever work? 

How about we try to push a WARN_ONCE() on socket creation to net and
stable? With a message along the lines of "UDP lite is assumed to have
no users, and is been deleted, please contact netdev@.."

Then delete the whole thing in net-next? Hopefully pushing to stable
would expedite user reports? We'll find out if Greg throws rotten fruit
at us or not..