Subject: Re: [patch net-next] devlink: bring port new reply back

From: Jakub Kicinski <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 May 2023 23:53:39 -0700

On Wed, 31 May 2023 08:36:25 +0200 Jiri Pirko wrote:
> >> FWIW it should be fairly trivial to write tests for notifications and
> >> replies now that YNL exists and describes devlink..  
> >
> >Actually, I'm not 100% sure notifications work for devlink, with its
> >rtnl-inspired command ID sharing.  
> 
> Could you elaborate more where could be a problem?

right here

https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/netdev/net-next.git/tree/tools/net/ynl/lib/ynl.py#n518

;)  If we treat Netlink as more of an RPC than.. state replication(?)
mechanism having responses and notifications with the same ID is a bit
awkward. I felt like I had to make a recommendation in YNL either to
ask users not to enable notifications and issue commands on the same
socket, or for family authors to use different IDs. I went with the
latter. And made YNL be a bit conservative as to what it will consider
to be a notification.