Subject: Re: [PATCH v4 5/6] connector/cn_proc: Performance improvements

From: Jakub Kicinski <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 1 Jun 2023 10:15:14 -0700

On Thu, 1 Jun 2023 16:53:07 +0000 Anjali Kulkarni wrote:
> > Is it possible to recode the sample so the format can be decided based
> > on cmd line argument? To be honest samples are kinda dead, it'd be best
> > if the code was rewritten to act as a selftest.  
> 
> Yes, I can recode to use a cmd line argument. Where would a selftest
> be committed?

The path flow is the same as for the sample, the file just goes to
tools/testing/selftests rather than samples/.

> This is kind of a self test in the sense that this is
> working code  to test the other kernel code. What else is needed to
> make it a selftest?

Not much, really. I think the requirement is to exit with a non-zero
return code on failure, which you already do. 0 means success; 1 means
failure; 2 means skip, IIRC.

The main work in your case would be that the selftest needs to do its
checking and exit, so the stimuli must be triggered automatically.
(You can use a bash script to drive the events.)