Subject: Re: [PATCH net-next v6 3/6] net: bcmasp: Add support for ASP2.0 Ethernet controller

From: Jakub Kicinski <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 6 Jun 2023 21:35:42 -0700

On Tue, 6 Jun 2023 21:22:45 -0700 Justin Chen wrote:
> >> Through filters that can be programmed by the Host cpu or co-processor.  
> > 
> > How are the filter programmed by the host (in terms of user API)?  
> 
> You are stumbling upon my next objective here. This patch set does not 
> support this because it wasn't clear how to do it. The plan was to get 
> the base driver merged first then introduce a way to specify an offload 
> channel.

Alright.

> If you must know, I introduced a rxnfc flow_spec ring cookie to specify 
> an offload filter. Not sure if this is the right way to do it or not, 
> but figured this would be a future discussion.

We clean leave it for later indeed, but in case you're wondering -
that's unlikely to fly. My preference will be to expose the accelerator
port as a switch port, with a netdev and forward using TC flower etc.
With the netdev in place you'll have a place to report stats and all the
necessary diagnostics, which otherwise get crammed into random places.
I believe Florian asked about this in the past, I hope I'm being
consistent with my answer here :P