Subject: Re: [PATCH 0/3] Add MHI Endpoint network driver

From: Manivannan Sadhasivam <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 Jun 2023 12:33:13 +0530

On Tue, Jun 06, 2023 at 02:22:27PM -0700, Jakub Kicinski wrote:
> On Tue,  6 Jun 2023 18:01:16 +0530 Manivannan Sadhasivam wrote:
> > This series adds a network driver for the Modem Host Interface (MHI) endpoint
> > devices that provides network interfaces to the PCIe based Qualcomm endpoint
> > devices supporting MHI bus (like Modems). This driver allows the MHI endpoint
> > devices to establish IP communication with the host machines (x86, ARM64) over
> > MHI bus.
> > 
> > On the host side, the existing mhi_net driver provides the network connectivity
> > to the host.
> 
> So the host can talk to the firmware over IP?

That's the typical usecase of these PCIe based modems. On the host, mhi_net
driver creates the network interface that communicates with the endpoint over
MHI host stack. On the endpoint, mhi_ep_net driver creates the network interface
that communicates with the host over MHI endpoint stack.

These drivers work on top of MHI channels like IP_SW0, IP_HW0 etc... IP_SW0
channel represents the IP communication between host and modem CPUs while IP_HW0
represents IP communication between host and modem DSP.

- Mani

-- 
மணிவண்ணன் சதாசிவம்