Subject: Re: [PATCH] netconsole: Append kernel version to message

From: Jakub Kicinski <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 Jul 2023 08:49:58 -0700

On Wed, 5 Jul 2023 08:26:04 -0700 Stephen Hemminger wrote:
> On Wed, 5 Jul 2023 02:18:03 -0700
> Breno Leitao <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> > The uname is useful if the receiver side is looking (grepping) for
> > specific messages (warnings, oops, etc) affecting specific kernel
> > versions. If the uname is not available, the receiver needs to read boot
> > message and keep a map for source IP to kernel version. This is far from
> > ideal at a hyperscale level.  
> 
> At hyperscale you need a real collector (not just netcat) that can consult
> the VM database to based on IP and record the meta data there.  If you allow
> random updates and versions, things get out of control real fast and this
> won't really help much

VM world is simpler because the orchestrator knows exactly what it's
launching each time. Bare metal is more complicated, especially
with modern automation designs where the DBs may contain _intended_
state, and local host agent performs actions to bring the machine
into the intended state.

Not to mention that there may be multiple kernels at play (provisioning
flow, bootloader / EFI, prod, kdump etc.)

As a kernel dev I do like the 100% certainty as to which kernel version
was running at the time of the problem.