Subject: Re: [PATCH net-next v2] bnxt_en: use dev_consume_skb_any() in bnxt_tx_int

From: Jakub Kicinski <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2023 20:09:55 -0700

On Tue, 11 Jul 2023 19:07:43 +0800 [email-masked] wrote:
> In bnxt_tx_int(), the skb in the tx ring buffer will be freed after the
> transmission completes with dev_kfree_skb_any(), which will produce
> the noise on the tracepoint "skb:kfree_skb":
> 
> $ perf script record -e skb:kfree_skb -a
> $ perf script
>   swapper     0 [014] 12814.337522: skb:kfree_skb: skbaddr=0xffff88818f145ce0 protocol=2048 location=dev_kfree_skb_any_reason+0x2e reason: NOT_SPECIFIED
>   swapper     0 [003] 12814.338318: skb:kfree_skb: skbaddr=0xffff888108380600 protocol=2048 location=dev_kfree_skb_any_reason+0x2e reason: NOT_SPECIFIED
>   swapper     0 [014] 12814.375258: skb:kfree_skb: skbaddr=0xffff88818f147ce0 protocol=2048 location=dev_kfree_skb_any_reason+0x2e reason: NOT_SPECIFIED
>   swapper     0 [014] 12814.451960: skb:kfree_skb: skbaddr=0xffff88818f145ce0 protocol=2048 location=dev_kfree_skb_any_reason+0x2e reason: NOT_SPECIFIED
>   swapper     0 [008] 12814.562166: skb:kfree_skb: skbaddr=0xffff888112664600 protocol=2048 location=dev_kfree_skb_any_reason+0x2e reason: NOT_SPECIFIED
>   swapper     0 [014] 12814.732517: skb:kfree_skb: skbaddr=0xffff88818f145ce0 protocol=2048 location=dev_kfree_skb_any_reason+0x2e reason: NOT_SPECIFIED
>   swapper     0 [014] 12814.800608: skb:kfree_skb: skbaddr=0xffff88810025d100 protocol=2048 location=dev_kfree_skb_any_reason+0x2e reason: NOT_SPECIFIED
>   swapper     0 [014] 12814.861501: skb:kfree_skb: skbaddr=0xffff888108295a00 protocol=2048 location=dev_kfree_skb_any_reason+0x2e reason: NOT_SPECIFIED
>   swapper     0 [014] 12815.377038: skb:kfree_skb: skbaddr=0xffff88818f147ce0 protocol=2048 location=dev_kfree_skb_any_reason+0x2e reason: NOT_SPECIFIED
>   swapper     0 [014] 12815.395530: skb:kfree_skb: skbaddr=0xffff88818f145ee0 protocol=2048 location=dev_kfree_skb_any_reason+0x2e reason: NOT_SPECIFIED

I think this is way too verbose, people looking at networking code 
are expected to understand kfree_skb vs consume_skb. Your v1 was fine,
I'm going to apply it.
-- 
pw-bot: na