Subject: Re: [RFC PATCH 00/10] Device Memory TCP

From: Jakub Kicinski <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2023 15:45:03 -0700

On Tue, 18 Jul 2023 16:35:17 -0600 David Ahern wrote:
> I do not see how 1 RSS context (or more specifically a h/w Rx queue) can
> be used properly with memory from different processes (or dma-buf
> references). When the process dies, that memory needs to be flushed from
> the H/W queues. Queues with interlaced submissions make that more
> complicated.

Agreed, one process, one control path socket.

FWIW the rtnetlink use of netlink is very basic. genetlink already has
some infra which allows associate state with a user socket and cleaning
it up when the socket gets closed. This needs some improvements. A bit
of a chicken and egg problem, I can't make the improvements until there
are families making use of it, and nobody will make use of it until
it's in tree... But the basics are already in place and I can help with
building it out.

> I guess the devil is in the details; I look forward to the evolution of
> the patches.

+1