Subject: Re: [PATCH v2 1/9] Revert "tcp: Use per-vma locking for receive zerocopy"

From: Jakub Kicinski <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2023 14:42:50 -0700

On Mon, 24 Jul 2023 16:06:00 +0100 Matthew Wilcox wrote:
> > Are you saying you want them to revert it before it reaches mainline?
> > That commit landed in v6.5-rc1.  
> 
> ... what?  It was posted on June 16th.  How does it end up in rc1 on
> July 9th?  6.4 was June 25th.  9 days is long enough for something
> that's not an urgent fix to land in rc1?  Networking doesn't close
> development at rc5/6 like most subsystem trees?

We don't, and yeah this one was a bit risky. We close for the merge
window (the two weeks), we could definitely push back on risky changes
starting a week or two before the window... but we don't know how long
the release will last :( if we stop taking large changes at rc6 and
release goes until rc8 that's 5 out of 11 weeks of the cycle when we
can't apply substantial patches. It's way too long. The weeks after 
the merge window are already super stressful, if we shut down for longer
it'll only get worse. I'm typing all this because I was hoping we can
bring up making the release schedule even more predictable with Linus,
I'm curious if others feel the same way.

On the matter at hand - I thought the patches were just conflicting
with your upcoming work. Are they already broken in v6.5? No problem
with queuing the revert for v6.5 here if they are.